It is undeniable that technology has changed our world. It seems like every day, innovations and discoveries change the way we do things forever. The advertising industry is a perfect example of how technology impacts our lives daily, and it’s also an area where innovation continues to change how advertisers connect with their audience.
For example, before the rise of innovations in technology, advertisements were usually in the form of posters on walls, radio ads, or TV commercials. These were all static and relied mostly on audio for their impact. With today’s technology, we have seen how advertisements can come to life with animations, video clips, and sound effects that engage viewers in a way that static advertising has never done. Technology has paved the way towards producing virtual content that enhances the way advertisements are made.
How Technology Revolutionized Advertisements
Technology has changed the way we view advertisements. In the past, most of us had to watch ads on television or listen to them on the radio while doing other things like cooking dinner or cleaning up around the house. Nowadays, technology allows us to be more interactive with our advertising experiences.
Today’s consumers can engage in a two-way conversation with brands through social media platforms and apps like Facebook Messenger and Instagram Stories. The level of engagement that these platforms allow for is unprecedented in history! Below are the ways that technology has revolutionized advertisements:
- Many of us can now watch advertisements on our smartphones while waiting for the train or bus. This is one of the ways that technology has revolutionized advertisements. After all, advertisements nowadays are no longer exclusive to televisions. People can view advertisements on their smartphones and laptops, which they can carry around with them all the time. Therefore, people can easily view advertisements while they are waiting for the bus or the train.
- Engaging advertisements that show a product in action are becoming more popular because they have the ability to capture consumers’ attention and cause them to explore the brand’s website or social media pages. This is a giant leap in advertising because it allows for a more immersive experience instead of just allowing people to watch advertisements for 30 seconds and then moving on to other activities.
- Social media and streaming apps allow brands to connect with their audience in real time so that they can deliver targeted ads at just the right moment. This has opened a lot of opportunities for businesses to grow and expand. After all, who could resist a new restaurant when they are scrolling through their Instagram feed, and it pops up right in front of them?
This method of showing advertisements has also changed the way that people interact with ads. People are less likely to pay much attention to a static advertisement on their television screen because they can scroll past it or change the channel if they don’t want to watch it. Pop-up ads, on the other hand, are attention grabbers and demand the audience to notice them.
- The new technology behind advertising has also made watching movies and TV shows more interactive for viewers. Alongside commercials, many streaming services now offer a second screen experience so that viewers can sit on their couches and use their phones or tablet to interact with a specific program.
- With technology, advertisements have taken on more than just the traditional form of television ads that interrupt our day. Consumers can now engage with brands throughout the day naturally by looking at social media feeds or streaming videos that are overlaid with advertisements.
- Brands are also able to get more personal with customers through technology by using data collected from social media sentiment and feedback, as well as tracking customer purchases on the web and in stores. This allows companies to create a personalized experience for every individual consumer.
- Voice assistants such as Alexa, Siri, and Google Home have made it possible for companies to build ads into their products. These technological advancements have led to a rise in advertising spending, with companies devoting more resources than ever to marketing and branding initiatives that may not necessarily be as effective or persuasive as they once were.
The Power of Advertising
Advertisements are a powerful form of marketing. Companies spend a great deal to produce ads and airtime for commercials that, ideally, would be memorable enough for customers to buy their products or services. Therefore, the rise of technology and the ways it has revolutionized advertisements have paved the way towards engaging and interacting advertisements that will be remembered and convince potential customers to buy a product or service.